International Visiting Scholar Project, Spring 2013-Summer 2013
- Facilitated professional and scholarly collaboration between Youngstown State University (YSU) and universities around the world.
- Provided an opportunity for YSU faculty and students to collaborate with international educators and students and enhance their understanding of multiculturalism and international education.
- Initiated an international scholarly engagements with Ehwa Womans University in Seoul, South Korea.
- Presented research topics and process to faculty in the all college meeting at the Beeghly College of Education, Youngstown State University.
- Published the article, Counseling in South Korea in the Counseling Academic & Professional Honor Society International (CSI)'s Global Network website.
- Interviewed Third Culture Kids (TCKs) and analyzed the interview data to understand the unique needs and challenges of Korean TCKs in the U.S.
Choi, K., & Lee, S. (2013). Counseling in South Korea. CSI's global network. Counselor Academic & Professional Honor Society International. Retrieved from http://c.ymcdn.com/sites/www.csi-net.org/resource/resmgr/Research,_Essay,_Papers,_Articles/Counseling_in_South_Korea.pdf
Visiting scholar studies cross-cultural experience
Project Learning Around the World (PLATW), South Africa
Faculty Representative, Summer 2012
- Consulted with educational personnel about the educational counseling needs.
- Delivered educational school supplies and playground equipment to various rural township schools in South Africa.
- Conducted a research project on cross-cultural immersion experience of graduate counseling students.
- Developed the manuscript, "Going Beyond": Cross-cultural immersion experience among graduate counseling students.
Choi, K. (2013). Inside-Out approaching to multicultural competence. The Ohio Counseling Association Guidelines, 39(2), 4-6.
Choi, K., VanVoorhis, W. R., & Ellenwood, E. A., (submitted to The Journal of Humanistic Counseling). Going beyond: Cross-cultural immersion experiences among graduate counseling students.
Strasbourg Summer Study Abroad, Strasbourg, France
Graduate Student, Summer 2006
- Studied conflict resolution and International human rights.
- Learned French and German cultures and languages.
- Visited the Council of Europe, the European Court of Human Rights, and the Parliament of the European Union.
- Explored International Organizations including the United Nations High Commissioners for Human Rights and for Refugees, the International Labor Organization (ILO), World Health Organization (WHO), and many non-governmental organizations (NGOs) that focus on international problems in Geneva, Switzerland.
Korea Agency for Digital Opportunity & Promotion, Cairo, Egypt
Information Technology Instructor / Team Coordinator, Summer 2003
- Taught basic computer education to Egyptian students and Sudanese refugees of various ages.
- Assessed refugees' difficulties and concerns on adjustment and oppression.
- Designed and scheduled computer classes (MS Excel, MS Word, MS Access, MS PowerPoint).
- Presented on the topic of Korean culture and society to Egyptian students.
Seoul Sang-Won Elementary School, Seoul, Korea
Elementary School Teacher, March 1999-July 2002
- Mentored over 110 students (2nd, 3rd and 4th grade) in basic elementary subjects.
- Taught students in the Navy Club, Girl Scouts, and the Korean Red Cross.
- Developed a bar code system to track over 9,000 library books.
- Selected more than six senior teachers to organize and conduct the school's first quiz show.
- Led the school book club to a nation-widely broadcasted student quiz competition.
Multicultural Trip to India and Nepal
Educators' Team Volunteer, Summer 1999
- Collected educational materials and information about cultures and traditions of India and Nepal.
- Developed awareness and sensitivity on development of underprivileged areas in these two countries.
Korean Development Association and NGOs, Dhaka, Bangladesh
Korean College Student Representative, Summer 1997
- Assisted medical team in development of undeveloped/poverty stricken areas.
- Coordinated educational programs with Bangladeshi teachers.
- Conducted the first orchestra concert with Dhaka Music School.